Monday 12 January 2009

What I'm Reading

So I’ve made a start on Pride and Prejudice.

Currently at page 30 (remember I said I was a slow reader), and despite my misgivings before I started reading I’m quite enjoying it. It’s not heavy going which was a pleasant surprise and a lot of it is very witty and cleverly written. I’m particularly enjoying the conversations between Mr and Mrs Bennet which are laced with double meanings and little digs.

It’s interesting to note that there seems to be a lot of ‘telling’, quite frowned upon in modern writing where we are very much concerned with almost pulling the reader into the action and story of the book. Also the cast seems to increase every couple of pages, usually with a cast this large I’d expect there to be a list at the front of the book detailing how everyone relates to everyone else.

Even from the few pages I’ve read so far I can appreciate why for a lot of people this is their ultimate comfort read. I think I definitely lucked out on picking this one.

A couple of weekends ago there was a Pride & Prejudice (Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth as Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy) marathon on the television which I’ve recorded. I don’t want to watch it until after I’ve read the book, but it seemed too fortuitous not to take the opportunity. Maybe I will finally get to understand the attraction of a man going swimming with a shirt on. lol

Favourite line so far comes from Elizabeth to Mr. Darcy when he comments that he only knows six accomplished women and then proceeds to list the variety of skills and talents said accomplished woman should possess.

“I am no longer surprised at your knowing only six accomplished women. I rather wonder now at your knowing any.“

No comments: