Thursday 29 January 2009

Thursday 13 #15 - Xena Episodes

I loved Xena. My favourite character though was Callisto, maybe because the first episode I ever saw was her introductory episode and the ladder fight. So here are 13 of my favourite Xena episodes.

1 - Callisto - First episode I ever saw, I think up ’til I saw it I was aware of the show but it wasn’t until I saw the ladder fight that I thought this might be a show worth getting into.

2 - Bitter Suite - the all singing episode, which starts with one of the most violent scenes of the series. The rift between Xena and Gabrielle is healed.

3 - Ides of March - My favourite part of the series were Seasons 4 and 5. Ides of March is the culmination of a story arc ending with the deaths of Xena and Gabrielle, beautifully shot and heartbreaking to watch.

4 - The Quill is Mightier - okay you’ve probably guessed that I prefer the more serious and dramatic episodes. So here’s one of my favourite comedy episodes. Gabrielle’s scroll becomes enchanted and anything she writes down comes true.

5 - Adventures in the Sin Trade Parts 1 and 2 - The first episodes of Season 4 and the beginning of my favourite story arc. The introduction of a new villainess - Alti and the discovery that Gabrielle isn’t as dead as was thought.

6 - Fallen Angel - First episode of Season 5. Xena, Gabrielle and Callisto as angels and demons.

7 - 10 Little Warlords - One of my favourite episodes, Xena in Callisto’s body must restore Ares to his godhood.

8 - Between the Lines - Second episode of the India trilogy and my favourite of the three. Xena and Gabrielle bring Alti back from the future to fight her where they are strongest - in the past. Very interesting to see Xena and Gabrielle’s future lives.

9 - Been There, Done That - the episode where Xena kills Joxer with her chakram, but it’s okay because time is going to be reset. Xena, Gabrielle and Joxer all die at least once.

10 - Remember Nothing - the episode where the Fates give Xena the opportunity to live her life over, a fresh start. We get to see what her life would be like if she hadn’t chosen to take up the sword. We also get to see what would have happened to Gabrielle. Very interesting to see how the lives of the characters would have been different.

11 - A Day in the Life - Very funny episode, which basically does what it says on the tin. Just follows a day in Xena’s life.

12 - The Quest / A Necessary Evil - Callisto becomes a God and falls into a lava pit. Guest actress Melinda Clarke chews the scenery as sadistic Velasca. Even though she only appeared in two episodes she was still one of the most memorable villains.

13 - When Fates Collide - IMO this should have been the last episode of the series. Julius Caesar rewrites time to avoid his fate and by doing so alters the destinies of those around him - Xena, Gabrielle and Alti. Shot in washed out tones and with an ambiguous ending, I always watch this after watching Friend in Need.

No comments: