Thursday 25 September 2008

Thursday 13 #6 ~ Werewolves


Okay, strictly speaking not 13 werewolves, but 13 weres and shifters. In no particular order, but it’s kind of appropriate that the Lord of the Beasts is at number 1.
1. Curran from the Magic series by Ilona Andrews. He’s tough but he has to be, and the chemistry between him and Kate is wonderful to read.

2. Elena from the Otherworld series. Bitten was the book that really got me into UF, and Elena was the first werewolf I read about, I believe at the time I was finding it hard to find good vampire books so decided to switch species. If you’ve never read Urban Fantasy (UF), Bitten is one of the books I recommend you try.

3. And of course wherever Elena goes there has to be Clay. Obsessed, protective and maybe a touch psychopathic.

4. Jeremy - last of the Otherworld werewolves to be mentioned here (sorry Karl). My favourite Otherworld character. And the Alpha of the pack.

5. Lucian leader of the Lycans from the Underworld movie. I think all my favourite bits of that film are when he’s on screen.

6. Bran leader of the werewolves (Marrok) in the Mercy Thompson Universe (Patricia Briggs). The books start with Moon Called and this would be the other series I’d recommend if you’re interested in reading UF. He’s something of an enigmatic character, centuries old but with the appearance of a young man.

7. Lucas, alpha of the Dark River leopard clan in Nalini Singh’s Psy/Changeling series. This was the first book in the series and it got me hooked.

8. Bowen hero of Kresley Cole’s third full length novel in the Immortals After Dark series - Wicked Deeds on a Winter’s Night. Not strictly speaking a werewolf as the Lykae don’t completely change, but they are the werewolves of their world. He’s sarcastic, does some things which in retrospect he perhaps regrets, but at the end of the story he comes through.

9. Sam from the Sookie books by Charlaine Harris and I guess the True Blood series as well. Though that hasn’t made its way to the UK yet. Sam is kind of unique on this list, but I don’t want to spoil the surprise for any True Blood viewers who haven’t read the books. (LOL - assuming the show will follow the books faithfully).

10. Michael Wyndham - of the Wyndham werewolves series by Mary Janice Davidson. Not the most politically correct werewolf on the list, but he certainly knew how to make being stuck in an elevator more interesting.

11. Mercy Thompson of the aforementioned Mercy Thompson novels. A skinwalker rather than a werewolf, she changes into a coyote. However being raised (at least partly) in a werewolf pack has certainly left her with an insight into pack politics and in-fighting.

12. Tera. From Fool Moon, Book 2 of the Harry Dresden series by Jim Butcher. Another unique werewolf whose circumstances I won’t spoil. I recommend this book if you’re interested in werewolf mythology at all as it covers 6 different varieties of werewolf, all of which I think (going on my faulty memory) make an appearance in the book. So concentrate at the beginning when they’re being described.

13. Vane from Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Night Play. Strictly speaking an Arcadian Were-Hunter, but he changes into a wolf, so that’s good enough for me. Night Play remains one of my favourite of the Dark Hunter series (along with Dance with the Devil) so Vane had to make the list.

Overall I think the werewolves was a slightly tougher list than the vamps, but even so I still had a couple that I wanted to mention at the end. So honourable mentions go to Adam from the Mercy Thompson Universe, and Andrea from Ilona Andrews Magic series.

No comments: