Thursday 11 September 2008

Thursday 13 #4 ~ Films I Love

Well this topic could run and run, so for the purposes of this post this will just be films made in the past thirty or so years. In similar ways that I can lose myself in a book, I find some films I just want to watch over and over again. They’re the ones that if I catch them as I’m channel surfing I’ll stop and watch ’til the end, even though I’ve seen them numerous times before. In no particular order.

1. Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001) Follows the attempts to kill a beast in 18th Century France that has been on a killing spree. It’s a beautiful film to watch and one scene in particular where the children are chased through the forest by the beast is like a painting that’s come to life.

2. The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996) I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago. One of my favourite ‘comfort’ films. One I have to watch if I come across it channel surfing. LOL - I think I probably know the entire script off by heart. Well I can quote large chunks of it anyway. Samuel L. Jackson and Geena Davis kicking ass. Favourite scene - when Charley flashes Mitch.

3.Alien (1979) Any of the Alien quadrology. Though watching it makes me experience this bizarre recurring dream where I’m in a supermarket and all the other shoppers are Aliens, with tiny baby Aliens running up and down the aisles screaming, and face huggers in baby baskets. It’s not scary just extremely surreal. Favourite scene I’ll take from Aliens. The fight at the end - get away from her you bitch.

4. Shelter (2007) This is the film that’s currently in my DVD machine. Thanks to JenB for the recommendation. Just a really sweet m/m love story with some great songs on the soundtrack.

5. Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion (1997) How much did I hate High School? A lot. And this film just highlights how trivial most of that stuff really is. Very funny. Favourite scenes - anything with Janeane Garofalo in, and where Romy confronts the A group at the end.

6. High Heels and Low Lifes (2001) Another comfort film. Two friends try and blackmail a gang of bank robbers. Favourite scene - first rehearsal for the blackmail phone call and when France wakes up in the morning with a hangover on her way to audition as an alien tomato.

7. Underworld (2003) One of my favourite vampire and werewolf films. Favourite scene - anything with Lucian in, brilliantly played by Michael Sheen.

8. The Matrix (1999) (Trilogy) The first film I saw in the cinema with my mouth hanging open. LOL. The gun battle in the lobby, I just couldn’t believe it. Though my favourite fight scene from the trilogy happens in The Matrix Reloaded, the incredibly balletic sequence on the dual staircase.

9.Pan’s Labyrinth (2006) Incredibly beautiful and moving film, sad but hopeful, the ending is somewhat ambiguous. The visuals are stunning, an adult fairytale come to life, you feel like you’ve entered somebody else’s dream. Favourite scene - stealing from the blind man.

10.The Terminator (1984) This remains my favourite of the terminator franchise, I love the doomed relationship between Kyle and Sarah. It doesn’t matter how many times I watch it, you keep hoping that some way it will work out. (Though I think of the whole series my favourite scene is Sarah’s escape from the asylum in Terminator 2).

11. Mulan (1998) Strictly speaking I don’t think this is my favourite animated movie. I prefer The Incredibles. BUT this was my nieces favourite movie when she was a toddler and whenever she came over we had to play it, to the point where we wore out the tape. And to the point where I ended up buying the soundtrack because I found myself continually singing the songs. Favourite scene - the haircut, because I love the music at that point.

12. Shaun of the Dead (2004) I was a Spaced fan (and if you haven’t seen that series and loved Shaun of the Dead I highly recommend it. There’s a brilliant Matrix parody in the second season (I think)). What I love about SOTD is that you can watch it over and over and see something new every time. Favourite scene - the dart throwing in the pub and the argument over whether or not it’s a real rifle.

13. Die Hard (1988) The original and probably the best, though Die Hard 3 has Samuel L. Jackson. Favourite scene - any time Ode to Joy is playing in the background.

No comments: