Thursday 28 August 2008

Thursday 13 #2 ~ 13 Favourite Things


So not quite raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens but 13 of my favourite things.

1. Green, okay I’ve now got Kermit in my head singing. But truth be told my favourite colour tends to vary with my mood, though it’s usually somewhere at the bluey/green end of the spectrum. must be something to do with being a pisces.

2.Baking, something I definitely should make more time for. There’s something about the smell of home baking in the kitchen that is comforting, plus it helps to know that you get to eat cakes at the end of it.

3.I love being by the sea. It has a way of putting things in perspective, you’re very small when you stand next to the ocean.

4.Comfort reading - something I no longer have as much time to do. But I love curling up with a good book and taking the time to go somewhere else in my imagination.

5.Giraffes and penguins. The world can be a pretty terrible place, but I hold onto the fact that as long as we’ve got giraffes and penguins then it’s not completely terrible. (This is turning into raindrops on roses…)

6.My favourite films. I wish I could put something trendy and clever in here, but I’m not that highbrow. I like films that make me laugh and where there’s great chemistry between the actors. Two of my favourites are - The Long Kiss Goodnight, High Heels and Low Lifes. In common with #12 I like banter and verbal sparring between the characters.

7.Favourite food is probably Italian, mainly pasta because it’s so quick. I am terrible for losing track of time when I’m writing and missing meals, so quicker is better.

8.My favourite season is autumm. I love the wind and the rain (yes the rain ), the vibrant colours of the trees. You still stand the chance of getting a sunny day, and it’s not yet winter.

9.Favourite album, this is one I don’t even have to think about. Fumbling Towards Ecstasy by Sarah McLachlan.

10. Bumblebees. (Which I guess is kind of opposite to the song). I know they hurt if they sting you, having been stung. But I guess the fact that they can fly when aerodynamically they shouldn’t be able to - they’re the little insect that could.

11.My dog. I’ve only just recently got him, always been a cat person before but when my last cat died I couldn’t face getting another one as I’d had him for so long. So instead I have a spaniel cross who may be small but he’s got a big personality to make up for it.

12.Shakespeare. Yes, some of it is difficult to understand. But 12th Night, Macbeth, Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing -the plays I studied at school are favourites. And I think it’s one of those situations where the reward is worth the effort. His dialogue could be incredibly cutting and to the point, with sarcasm, double meaning, banter and sparring between the characters.

13.The moment just before you go to sleep and just before you wake up. I find when I’m nearly asleep I have a capacity to solve a lot of my plot and character problems, if only I could hold onto the ideas once I’m properly awake.

No comments: