Thursday 17 December 2009

Musical Inspiration

Hmmm. I don’t think I started out with the intention of writing a series of posts on inspiration but it looks like that’s what I’m doing.

I find music very helpful to the muse. Driving to work with the car radio on usually encourages story ideas to come flooding into my mind. I think we live in such a media focused world and we are so used to watching movies and tv with background music that it almost feels natural to weave a story along to a melody.

So here are a few of the pieces that are inspiring me at the moment.

I love the following two songs for vampires.

Remember – Josh Groban (This is on the soundtrack to the movie Troy)

Forever May Not Be Long Enough – Live (I think I’m right in saying that this played over the credits of The Mummy Returns)

I am a bit of a movie buff. Most of the songs I like I tend to pick up from soundtracks.

The following song (which I think is great for when you’re stuck partway through writing a love scene) is an exception.

Insatiable – Darren Hayes

I find songs most useful when I’m stuck for inspiration on a particular point and I know what I’m trying to say but somehow not getting there.

Classical music on the other hand I find fantastic for general inspiration. You don’t get led by the lyrics and can let your mind wander.

Favourite pieces at the moment are:-

Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis – Ralph Vaugh Williams – just beautiful

Jazz Suite, Waltz 2 – Shostakovich – Which for me is just the creepiest sounding waltz, and brings to mind all these strange fantasic creatures dancing. Makes me think of the masquerade scene in Labyrinth.

Danse Macabre – Saint Saens – I have loved this piece of music ever since I was a little girl and my aunt told me to imagine skeletons dancing to it.

Symphony No. 3 in C Minor (Organ) – Saint Saens – Most familiar as used in the movie Babe. But if you listen to the whole thing there is a wonderful ‘chase’ section, which is great for when characters are running away from things.

Anyone have any other recommendations?

No comments: