Thursday 18 December 2008

Thursday 13 #13 - Heroes and Heroines

So after the heroes and heroes post of a couple of weeks back I thought I’d do a heroes and heroines post. So 13 of my favourites.

1. Helena and Marcus Falco from the Falco mystery series by Lindsey Davies. I was lucky enough to attend a talk by Lindsey Davies a few years ago (she was speaking alongside Janet Evanovich) and after the talk she was signing her books. She’d been so witty during the talk that I picked up The Accusers, finding out later it was book 15 in the series! But I was good and got the other fourteen books first.

Set in Ancient Rome although the series is primarily mystery based what makes it such compelling reading is the family dramas of the Falco family.

2. Miles Vorkosigan and Elena from the Vorkosigan series by Lois McMaster Bujold. Another long series but this time space opera and one of the best characters I’ve ever read. The series follows Miles from birth to adulthood and the book where he finally wins his lady love (A Civil Campaign) is one of the best romantic comedies I’ve ever read.

3. Cherijo and Duncan Reever from the Stardoc series by S.L.Viehl. More sci fi. Two characters that really go through the wringer together but just won’t give up on themselves or each other.

4. Alex and Michael from the Darkyn Series by Lynn Viehl. I seem to be picking a lot of series, but I like being able to follow a relationship past the initial happy ending. I like to know what happened next. And one of the things I love about the Darkyn series is that Michael and Alex have been a constant throughout the books. I love their snarky bickering, below is possibly one of my favourite lines ever.
“I could tie you to the bed, you know.”
“No, you can’t. It’s round and you don’t have any rope.”
5. Kate and Curran from the Magic Series by Ilona Andrews. (I promise there are some standalone books in this list). This is a couple that hasn’t quite got together yet, but you can feel the chemistry between them when you read the books. It’s just waiting to happen.

6. Jeremy and Jaime from the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong. One of my favourite couples. They don’t actually get together for years because he’s reticent (is probably not the right word but it’s the one I’m going to use) and she’s insecure. I like that their getting together happens gradually and also that it’s very real. In the beginning whenever Jaime talks to Jeremy she completely loses all capability for rational speech.

7. Henry and Claire from The Time Traveller’s Wife. Beautiful, sad, love story. Now being made into a film, but I’m not too sure about whether I’ll go to see it. Eric Bana isn’t really the way I pictured Henry, I think I kind of imagined him more along the lines of James Stewart. (Yes, I know it’s impossible for James Stewart to play Henry in a movie, but that’s how I pictured him in my head).

8. Clay and Elena also from The Otherworld Series by Kelley Armstrong. Couldn’t really mention Jeremy without mentioning Clay and Elena. Their relationship is such an essential part of the series.

9. Vane and Bride from Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Night Play and Dance with the Devil are my favourite Dark Hunter books. But Vane and Bride are my favourite couple. I like the way Bride blossoms as a heroine throughout the book and learns to stand up for herself.

10. Benedict and Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing. Possibly my favourite* Shakespearean couple. I love the banter and the bickering between them.

11. Jamie and Claire from the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. Hopefully at some point in the future when I have a lot more reading time I’ll be able to catch up with this series.

12. Rhage and Mary from Lover Eternal. This is a book that I’ve enjoyed more each time I’ve read it.

13. Jaz and Vayl from the Jaz Parks series by Jennifer Rardin. This is a series that I’ve just started reading and Jaz and Vayl aren’t really ‘together’ as such though they are partners. They have great chemistry together and I’m looking forward to seeing where there relationship is headed in future books.

I think looking at my heroes and their heroines I like couples who although able to stand on their own, choose to stand together. They don’t ride roughshod over each other, and there’s usually snarky bickering going on at some point.

* - Hmmm, maybe I should be fined for the number of times I said ‘possibly my favourite’ on this post?

No comments: