Wednesday 11 February 2009

WIP Update

Sorry this is a day late.

Currently working on The Bargain, Chapter 15, word count - 21,574

Things are going well. I have a few days off work next week so fingers crossed that I can blast through this to the end and get it off to my beta reader. Usually my number of squee moments (when I hug myself and go “This is soooooo good”) compared to my dark moments (when I go “This is crap and no one will ever read it!”) is low. But I’m used to that. So it was great this week to have two squee moments, which makes it worthwhile.

So after the second draft is complete - what then? Some authors write a lot and then cut down. I’m the opposite. I write a very spare first draft. The second draft I flesh out and correct character motivations, change things that aren’t working, cut unnecessary scenes, add more scenes sometimes chapters, to clarify things that don’t make sense. That draft goes out to be looked at by someone who doesn’t have my author bias. lol

Then the third draft will be taking into account what the beta reader has said, adding more description, intensifying emotional scenes. I’ll put it on one side for a couple of days and maybe draft again. Then I’ll hopefully be ready to submit.

No comments: