Monday 23 February 2009

What I'm Reading

Still Pride and Prejudice but I am a lot farther through it now, about halfway. Charlotte has married Mr. Collins. (So I guess he doesn’t end up with Mary huh?) I’ve also watched the first episode of the P&P series which featured Colin Firth as Mr.Darcy. Even though I’d never watched it, I’d seen that many trailers that those actors were pretty much fixed in my head as the characters anyway.

Although I initially thought I’d struggle with the story, even though I’m only half way through I can completely understand why for some people this is their ultimate comfort read. Jane Austen’s use of language is so precise there is never any doubt to her meaning, and I very much appreciate how cleverly it is written.

One of the reasons it’s taking me so long to get through P&P is that I’m currently beta reading. Now I don’t know how other people beta read but I write lots and lots of notes.:)Though this can depend on what the writer is looking for, sometimes it’s just a general overview, other times it’s a line edit. I always feel privileged when someone asks me to betaread, apart from anything else it’s helped me a lot as a writer to see how other authors go about developing their stories and ideas. So if ever you have the opportunity and have the time and commitment I heartily recommend beta reading.

No comments: