Thursday 9 October 2008

Around Blogland

Apologies, no Thursday 13 today. To be honest I didn’t even realize it was Thursday until I saw everybody elses TT’s. Part of me is still convinced it’s Wednesday. I’ve been incredibly busy all week at the EDJ, and have been writing at night. If this were closer to New Year’s I’d make a resolution to be a better blogger.

So in lieu of a TT, I’m posting a link to one of the blogs I dip into now and again, it’s a poetry blog, the one I mentioned in the comments on Sunday.

I often get to know poems when they’re quoted on tv or film, and I stumbled upon this blog whilst trying to find the poem used in an episode of House (The Socratic Method). The poem was Her Praise by W.B.Yeats.

Poevies Blog

What was great about the blog, was how many other poems it had that I was familiar with through tv and film. With the most recent entries being from Prison Break and Heroes.
The poem from Heroes another Yeats poem and one of my favourite verses.

From The Second Coming by W.B.Yeats

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the center cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

As a writer I find this such an inspirational piece of work - so vivid. LOL - and I even remember where I first heard it quoted on tv, in an episode of Babylon 5 I think (well I’m pretty sure) they used the line or paraphrased - things fall apart; the centre cannot hold. It’s probably one of the most quoted and used poems, and one of the few I can almost instantly pick out when it’s quoted.

No comments: