Thursday 21 January 2010

Santa Brought me an XBox

I’m not much of a games freak, as my cousin delighted in pointing out to me. But I do like Tomb Raider. I’ve been playing on my PC – favourite version Tomb Raider 3. However, as the games have gotten bigger and better I thought I’d better finally get round to getting a games console. This has the added bonus of keeping my PC free for writing and not distracting me.

Whilst I have some skills on the PC my fingers flash round the keyboard keeping Lara out of trouble – it’s all the typing I do, who knew it would come in useful for something besides typing? On a games controller I tend to spend much more time running round in circles. After much practice I have reached the point where I can stand still and shoot things or run around on walls and jump off cliffs (sometimes intentionally). Unfortunately my skills do not yet extend to doing both at the same time. But I’m sure I’ll get there eventually.

One of my favourite popular culture references to Tomb Raider occurs in the sitcom Spaced. (For those of you who enjoyed Shaun of the Dead, this was written by and starred the same people). Well worth checking out on DVD if you get the chance. I can’t embed the video but hope you’ll click on the link. Whilst Tim finds the ‘point’ of the game is often to drown Lara, I find more often than not I’m going splat off the edges of cliffs. Though I occasionally drown her as well and have been known to set her on fire.


You Tube Spaced Tomb Raider Clip

No comments: