Thursday 12 June 2008

The Road to Getting Published (Part 2)

So thought I’d complete this story for anyone who may be passing by.

Please excuse the appalling grammar in these posts, I’m usually blogging late at night. And when I read the posts the following day. Sheesh!

Anyway. I submitted the story to Samhain and I had a plan. All my crit group partners were waiting months to hear back from publishers and I knew Samhain’s response time was 12 to 16 weeks. So I decided during that time to write something different. Have a break from The Land of the Fey, so when I started work on the sequel it would be fresh for me. The plan being when I heard back (on IWWH) I’d be ready to either submit (IWWH) somewhere else if Samhain didn’t want it, or to start work on edits and at the same time work on the sequel to If Wishes Were Horses, with this other piece of work - Silvertree - ready to submit.

Only things didn’t quite go according to plan.

Two weeks after I submitted I got an e-mail from my editor saying they were interested in If Wishes Were Horses. I was on Cloud 9. Then I thought two weeks seems really fast. So I posted to my crit group about how happy I was to get this e-mail. And Dawn Halliday (also a Samhain author) said we’re sharing an editor. Cue the relief. LOL - I could stop worrying it was someone’s peculiar idea of a practical joke, yep, guess I’m a glass half empty kind of person. (My favourite Winnie the Pooh character is Eeyore).

I should just mention that two weeks is really fast. And I think it had a lot to do with when I submitted. Samhain had been closed to general submissions for quite a while, and when they re-opened I was straight in there.

So I’d love to say it was plain sailing from there, but there’s been a lot of panic (mainly on my part). If they ever did a Which Muppet are you? quiz. I’d be Fozzie. I have vague recollections from my youth of him panicking a lot before being punched by Miss Piggy. There’s also been a lot of fun and a lot of stress. The plan went out the window as these things often do. So I’m now hard at work on Silvertree, revising The Tithing, and promoing (is that a word) for If Wishes Were Horses. And I’m loving it. Hope you’ll come along for the ride.

No comments: